Type Writer

The type of technology that I did my presentation on was the typewriter. I chose to talk about this because I thought it was so interesting that we came from the typewriter all the way to a light as a feather laptop. While I was researching and learning more about it I learned so much more about it that I never knew. I found out that the first typewriter used the QWERTY keyboard the we all use today. For 151 years and counting we have used the same keyboard. The idea to place the letters and numbers (although there were no numbers on the Sholes typewriter) was very smart because of the clashes between commonly used pairs of letters. For example, the letters c and h or s and h are not right next to each other to avoid clashes so they would not have to open the typewriter often to fix it. Another thing I found very interesting was that typewriters and typing were mainly for females. I had no idea, I always thought that males would use them to write at home or at work. When looking at the Sholes typewriter I saw flowers on it and when I kept on reading it said it made jobs for women in the workplace. I thought this was remarkable because it was still segregated in 1868, between men and women, so I was surprised they were letting women work in the workplaces and give them jobs and salaries. Reading this made me happy because one invention created jobs for women and people were allowing it and even encouraging women to work. Learning about the typewriter gave me new information that I would never have learned without doing this project. I would also like to say thank you to Christopher Sholes for creating the QWERTY keyboard, I really enjoy this keyboard.

This is a picture of the Sholes typewriter:

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Online Presence

Confirmation Bias

Disinformation